Summer is officially here June 21, which means most of you will be breaking out the swimmies, boogie boards and beach umbrellas to get ready for vacation. While you’re busy packing, remember to prepare your house for vacation too. There are many important security and property measures to take before traveling to your favorite destination.
Be Safe, Not Sorry:
- Make your house look lived-in to avoid break-ins, such as stopping the newspaper or asking a friend to pick up your mail.
- Lock all windows and doors and turn on the security system.
- Turn on a lamp while turning off all others.
- Inform your credit card company that you will be out of town.
- Leave emergency contact info with a friend.
Prep Your Property for Vacation:
- Unplug smaller appliances and electronics.
- Make sure water valves are turned off to the sink and appliances, like the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Place the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it runs less and saves money.
- Set the thermostat on 85 degrees, but no hotter to shield your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove unwanted scents.
- Take out the trash and get rid of perishable food.
Hopefully these simple tips will assist you in feeling at ease about leaving your house and allow you to fully enjoy your 2015 vacation. If you experience any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.