August is the time to cross off any final items necessary before your kids head back to school. Here are some safety suggestions to follow as you dive back into the world of sack lunches, class bells, and permission slips.
School Zones are for Kids
- Follow the speed limit while in a school zone.
- Obey school crossing guards.
- Brake for school buses on both sides of the road and be very cautious of children.
- In a school zone, do not pass other vehicles, change lanes, or make U-turns.
- Watch out for children, especially near schools.
- Never text and drive.
- If you must use a cell phone, only use hands-free devices.
- Never use handicap spaces or lanes unless licensed.
Walking to School
- Look both ways before you cross the street and only use marked crosswalks.
- Obey traffic signals, signs, and pavement markings.
- Select the safest route between your home and the school and practice walking it with your kids.
- Instruct your children to:
- walk to school with a sibling or friend.
- never get into a vehicle with anyone without your permission.
- report the incident to you or a teacher immediately if another person asks them to get into a vehicle.
- Teen driving statistics are astounding!
- “50% of all teens will be involved in a car crash before graduating from high school.” – NSC.org
- “Car accidents are the top cause of death for teenagers in the United States.” – NSC.org
- Help your teen stay safe by providing parental guidance about the rules of driving and watching out for pedestrians and other drivers.
- Check out these videos by the National Safety Council for help educate new drivers:
Being informed about these tips will help your family stay protected during the busy back-to-school season.
-From your friends at Paul Davis
Recover. Reconstruct. Restore.